Top 10 Reasons To Recycle Electronics
June 7, 2016
There are multiple reasons you should think twice about putting your old computers and electronics in the trashcan when they are at the end of their useful lives. Planet Green has outlined the top 10 reasons to recycle electronics properly.
- Computers contain many chemicals and materials that are hazardous to the environment.
- For this reason, throwing away computers and electronics with regular garbage is illegal in many states. In 2011, Target had to pay the state of California $22.5 million as a result of improperly dumping hazardous waste, including e-waste.
- Most of the e-waste in the world, that isn’t processed through a certified electronics recycler, ends up in 3rd world countries. Many of these countries are not aware, or are incapable of addressing, the environmental issues caused by dumped e-waste.
- In 3rd world countries that improperly process e-waste, chemicals often seep into water supplies. These water supplies become polluted which poisons the people and livestock that live near these dumpsites.
- In 3rd world countries that improperly process e-waste, precious metals are often ‘recovered’ by burning materials in open air fires which pollutes the air.
- Disposing of your electronics at a certified E-cycler ensures your old laptop won’t end up in a landfill and cause environmental damage to your own community or any other community in the world.
- Having your electronics managed by a certified electronics recycler means that many your old computers’ working components will be reused. Reusing components greatly diminishes the time and energy required to turn out a single unit during the manufacturing process.
- Throwing away your office’s old electronics into a dumpster leaves you extremely susceptible to information theft, even if you think you’ve deleted all your files on that broken computer, notebook, smartphone, PDA, or digital scanner. Choosing a certified recycler means your identity will be protected!
- Job creation, specifically Green Job creation, is one of the wonderful bi-products of E-cycling. The skills required for many functions in the industry means that E-Cycling centers can often create environmentally-friendly jobs in disadvantaged communities.
- It’s the right thing to do.
Start raising funds for your cause!