January 22, 2013
With the start of a new year it’s a great time to review and reinvent fundraising efforts to reach higher goals. We took a look at what some of our most successful organizations do when it comes to gathering items to recycle and raising funds.
Here are our Top 5 Tips for making 2013 a super successful year for fundraising!
1. Set Goals. It’s so important to create goals and set benchmarks for your recycling and fundraising efforts.
2. Spread the Word. Get started with email newsletters and social media. It’s all about spreading the word; email and social media are the most cost-effective and convenient ways.
3. Pack inkjets and fragile electronics carefully. Although Planet Green Recycle does not require that you sort and pack items individually, we can say for sure that the organizations that take the extra step to separate the items and pack them with old newspaper or other materials receive more value for their items because they are less likely to get damaged in transit. We recycle everything BUT can only pay out for undamaged items.
Here is an example of a poorly packed box (left) compared with one that was carefully packed (right). The poorly packed box resulted in many damaged inkjets.
4. Give Prizes for Recycling. Encourage your supporters to help you recycle items within a certain time period by offering a chance to win prizes. It makes the experience fun and creates urgency for your program.
5. Send Thank You Cards. Believe it or not, thank you notes go a long way. Many of our regular recyclers say that they have built a loyal following of supporters that find great fulfillment in doing their part to keep items out of landfills and helping their chosen group raise much needed funds. Many choose to either send a written note, email or even a shout out on their social media pages.
Use these tips and see your fundraising efforts grow in 2013!
-Team Planet Green Recycle